19th-century French school oil on canvas signed Auguste Grasset (1829-1884). The canvas is smooth to the touch.
An Impressionist landscape with beautiful light and a warm color palette. The juxtaposition of brushstrokes is perfectly mastered and its variety gives a realistic depth to the Breton landscape.
About the artist: Auguste Grasset is a French collector and painter who was born in La Rochelle (New-Aquitaine) in 1829 and died in Varzy (Bourgogne-Franche-Comté) in 1884. He officiated as a historical monuments inspector of la Nièvre (Bourgogne-Franche-Comté) and was also the curator of the Varzy museum.
Grasset dedicated his life to his collection and art. His collection included drawings, manuscripts, paintings and objects of all kinds that he found in France and all over the world. He donated most of his collection to the Varzy Museum. The museum is now called the Auguste Grasset museum.
- Overall size: 15.8" x 21.3" / 40cm x 54cm.
- Size without the frame: 12.6" x 18.1" / 32cm x 46cm.
- Country: France.
- Provenance: Auguste Grasset collection.
- Signed: Auguste Grasset (1829-1884).
- Date: Mid-19th century.
- Condition: The canvas has a few small gaps. The frame has some traces and impacts but the general condition is good.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (with a surcharge for Australia & New Zealand).