XIXth century French School oil on canvas with several annotations (some illegible) on the boat including the name Printz. The work has a little texture to the touch.
A 19th-century maritime scene depicting a French steamboat fitted with paddle wheels. The ship is probably on its way to England following the easing of maritime tensions signed during the Franco-British trade treaty of 1860. The ship is on its own facing a raging ocean where sea and sky seem to be one. The scene abounds with worked detail and an inscription camouflaged in the ship's shadows.
- Overall size: 23.2" x 29.1" / 59cm x 74.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 19.2" x 25.1" / 49cm x 64.5cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Printz (illegible).
- Date: Mid-XIXth century.
- Condition: The canvas has several gaps with small openings on the right of the sky, the main one being 0.7". The frame has gaps and impacts.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (with a surcharge for Australia and New Zealand).