Original Antique French Portrait: French School of the XIXth century oil on canvas. The canvas is perfectly smooth.
Head and shoulders commissioned portrait of a young bourgeois from the Dordogne region (southwest vineyard region of France).
The result is a polished, complete and beautiful example of a classic portrait, and fits into the fundamentals dictated by the academy at the time. But as often, the encounter between the artist and "client" sometimes gives rise to portraits which exceed expectations. From the aesthetically smooth aspect of the work and model, emerges a certain insolence and mischievous character that only a talented portrait painter can bring out.
The work and the model are beautiful and soft in their finish, while the old frame with its shortcomings gives contrast between the conserved beauty and the weight of time.
A very rare and exceptional portrait example from the 1800's.
- Overall size: 28.3" x 23.6" / 72cm x 60.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 24" x 19.6" / 61cm x 50.5cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: No.
- Date: Late XIXth century.
- Condition: The canvas has veins and cracks due to age. An anterior restoration is visible at the back between the chin and the neck. The frame has impacts and gaps in the angles and on the outer edges such as that of the lower right vertical edge (3.7 ").
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).