Can be paired with the other painting. Les Époux who have been a historical pair.
Portraits from the French School of the first half of the 19th century. Oil painting on canvas signed E.Bodier. Two works of academic style with a very nice finish. The colors are rigorous and the painter perfectly transposes the expressions of the models. The husband seems impatient and his wife looks more amused, perhaps appropriate. She wears a large traditional shawl, white cap and a prominent budded cross.
- Overall size: 32.6" x 27.1" / 83cm x 69cm.
- Size without the frame: 27.5" X 21.6" / 70cm x 55.5cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes. E.Bodier.
- Date: 1800 - 1850.
- Condition: Apparent veins but not pronounced. Multiple small gaps, visible in the form of white spots. The age causes some areas where the canvas has losses, but nothing exceeds (0.5 ") and the canvas is well preserved contained in age. The original frame suffered losses in the interior coating, about ten (1-2 ") which were covered with gilding. The external part of the frame also has gaps, reworked in gilding too.
- Materials: Oil on canvas, relined with a linen canvas, stretched over a wooden frame.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).