20th century European School oil painting on canvas, featuring a fisherman from Breton, walking on the beach with his basket. The details of the outfit with traditional Breton fisherman cap, the knee-high boots, and patched workwear are just wonderful. The basket, with visible straps was used to collect the catch of the day. The Breton Fishermen have been popular subject matter for artists of the Beaux-Arts from the 1800's and 1900's. The signature in the lower left corner is Hipp Pain, short for Hippolyte Pain. There is light texture to the touch on the canvas, which has been lightly varnished.
- Overall size: 23.4" x 18.9" / 72 cm x 48 cm.
- Size without the frame: 21.7" x 13" / 55 cm x 33 cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Yes, Hipp Pain (Hippolyte Pain - 19th century through 20th century)
- Date: Late 19th century.
- Condition: The canvas has had two tears which have been closed and repaired (1-2 inches surface area each). One repair is in the sky to the left of the fisherman's head. The other is in his brown sweater. You can see on the back of the painting that there were two smaller older repairs as well. There are also a few small areas where the raw canvas is exposed. The canvas is lightly varnished. The frame itself has outer impacts and less notable interior impacts. It is largely in good condition and has a special worn effect from age consistent with the canvas.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).