French fine art painting: French School of the twentieth-century oil on canvas signed André Lemaître (1909-1995), dated '66 on the back and titled "Nature Morte au Panier" or, "Still life with basket". This is a very large-scale painting.
The painting has thicknesses marked on the elements of the composition and reveals the passionate nature of Lemaitre, who paints with his truth, his mood. The work is built in large vertical, horizontal, and geometrical composition. Lemaitre paints without drawing, or mapping details in advance which means the composition is as raw as the colors. Lemaitre is a conceptual painter who suggests his truth to us with force, gravity and incredible technical mastery.
About the artist: André Lemaître (1909-1995) was born in Falaise (Normandy). In 1916, and at the age of seven, his father fell on the field of honor in Verdun. In his teenage years André immersed himself in drawing and began to paint. He divided his time between teaching as a schoolmaster and painting. He began painting full-time in the 60's and went on to win many prizes, including the gold medal for French artists in Paris in 1972.
Several of his canvases were eventually purchased by the French state during various Parisian exhibitions. He also traveled to the US to exhibit his work in Chicago and Houston.
The André Lemaitre museum was inaugurated in his hometown (Falaise) in 2000, five years after he passed away.
- Overall size: 29.9" x 34.6" / 76cm x 88cm.
- Size without the frame: 23.6" x 28.7" / 60cm x 73cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, André Lemaître (1909-1995).
- Date: 1966.
- Condition: The canvas is in excellent condition. The frame is also in good condition with some traces and rare impacts due to age.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe, with a surcharge for Australia and New Zealand.