Vintage painting from Paris: Barbizon School oil on carton, signed in the lower center (illegible). The surface of the carton is smooth.
The work has darkened over time and has a smoky appearance that gives it a special aesthetic. Despite the dark nature of the painting, the palette and the light created by the Barbizon painter is still present, with the celestial blue sky and the subtle contrasts of the darks. The animals we are able to identify here include a black dog, cows, sheep and a donkey.
(Carton is a form of hard cardboard frequently used by painters in the 1800's and early 1900's. It is durable and hard-surfaced.)
- Overall size: 13.3" x 17.3" / 34cm x 44cm.
- Size without the frame: 8.6" x 12.5" / 22cm x 32cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Anonymous.
- Date: Early-Mid 1800's.
- Condition: The panel is in very good condition despite the darkening and age. The old carved frame is also in very good condition despite missing gilding on the interior frame.
- Materials: Oil on carton.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).