By the Sea
20th century French School oil on canvas signed by Alexandre Urbain (1875-1953) and dated 1922 on the back of the canvas. The work is smooth to the touch.
An Impressionist landscape with radiant light. The clarity of the sky and the bright and warm color palette brings life to this seascape. The horizontal lines offer a calm aspect to the work. The peaceful effect is accentuated by the serenity of the small dwelling nested in nature.
More about the artist: Alexandre Urbain is a French painter and engraver born on March 1, 1875 in Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines (Alsace). He joined the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris to study aside the painter and illustrator, Luc Olivier Merson (1846-1920).
Urbain travels a lot and paints multiple French landscapes and maritime artworks in Italy. He exhibited in various Parisian expositions at the beginning of the 20th century and was president of the Salon des Indépendants after the Second World War. He died in Paris on October 22, 1953.
- Overall size: 14.9" x 21.6" / 38cm x 55cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Alexandre Urbain (1875-1953).
- Date: 1922.
- Condition: The canvas has a few small slits on the edges, but the overall condition is good.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (with a surcharge for Australia/New Zealand).