19th-century French school large-scale oil on canvas signed in the lower right (illegible) and dated '93. The work has a little texture to the touch.
This captivating still life draws inspiration from the 17th-century vanity tradition, incorporating elements associated with games and their potential symbolic meanings. The brushstrokes are robust yet precisely rendered. The chiaroscuro technique directs focus onto the dagger, dice, and glass, creating a captivating interplay of light and shadow. The sizable black frame adorned with golden moldings contributes to the composition's Dantesque ambiance.
- Overall Size: 27.5" x 31.1" / 70cm x 79cm.
- Size without the frame: 21.6" x 25.2" / 55cm x 65cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Yes (illegible).
- Date: 1893.
- Condition: The canvas displays a few discreet veins due to the passage of time, but its overall condition is remarkably well-preserved. The accompanying frame is also in excellent condition.
- Materials: Oil on canvas with a wood and stucco frame.
- Shipping: Free global shipping is included with this painting. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.
Please note: Paintings purchased between August 27-September 10 will ship the week of September 11th.