The art of making a new family with antique and vintage portraits is such a personal and eclectic process.
Here is a list of our favorites that mix different styles and mediums in interesting and beautiful ways:
1. The Brooklyn Home of Benjamin Brougham, photo by Maura McEvoy:
2. The collection of costume and set designer Alexandre Vassiliev's home in Lithuania features portraits by Belgian, American, French, Russian, and Canadian artists. Courtesy of archdigest.com
3. This pink bathroom from Brooke Giannetti of Velvet Linen:
4. This collection of paintings from Paris displayed in a traditional Virginia house, as seen in House Beautiful and designed by Janie Molster. The paintings were saved and shipped to the USA before World War I.
5. This wall in the home of designer Stephen Brady, featuring black and white sketches, gravures and an oil painting.