Oil on canvas signed Paul Louis Mestrallet (1886-1961).
An oval still life with assertive brushstrokes and beautiful volumes of texture on the petals. Comma brushstrokes produce dynamism and perspective in this piece. Exploring the red palette in this bouquet results in a full range of tones from pink to dark purple-red.
About the artist: Paul Louis Mestrallet was born in Paris in 1886 and died in 1961. After training at the Beaux-Arts, he traveled around France in search of the right light and landscape. Using the technique of split brush, his work is known for an uninhibited use of bright colors. Apart from landscapes done in Brittany, Vendée, and the Mediterranean basin, Mestrallet painted Parisian bridges and produced many still lifes with generous color and texture. By 1909 his work started appearing in Parisian salons, including the Salon des Indépendants et des Artistes Français. Today, several French museums have collected works by Mestrallet.
- Overall size: 14.5" x 17.7" / 37cm x 45cm.
- Size without the frame: 12.9" x 16.1" / 33cm x 41cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Paul Louis Mestrallet (1886-1961).
- Date: Around 1920.
- Condition: The work has gaps on several flowers and on the vase. The frame has some impacts and lacks.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo.