Fruits & Nautilus
19th-century French School oil on canvas signed in the lower right (illegible). The work is smooth to the touch.
A refined decorative composition with a nautilus and a fruit platter. Exotic elements began to appear in still lifes from the 16th century, and here the abalone shell nautilus seems to distribute the light on the left side. Its reflections of light are admirably executed and blend perfectly with the light emanating from the fruit on the tray. The wood and stucco frame with golden foliage is in harmony with the elements of the composition. A unique and bountiful painting.
- Overall Size: 16.1" x 19.4" / 41cm x 49.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 12.5" x 15.7" / 32cm x 40cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Yes, illegible.
- Date: Late 1800s.
- Condition: The canvas is in good condition despite its age and despite a subtile restoration area of 1.1" in a circular shape on the right side, visible under close inspection. The old frame has a lack of 0.5" in the lower right corner.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas.
- Shipping: Free global shipping to the US and Europe. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.