About the Artist: Ernest-Joseph Angelon Girard (1813 -1897), is a Parisian painter, student of Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres (1780-1867) and the Romanticism movement. Ernest primarily painted in Paris. His paintings were exhibited in the Salons between 1837 and 1880, and he specialized in watercolors and miniatures. His first workshop was located at 57 rue "Neuve des Mathurins", in the 8th arrondissement, near the Concorde.
Two of his paintings are exhibited at the Brooklyn Museum, "Portrait of a Woman in Black" (1855) and "Young Woman at Her Toilette," probably mid-1860s.
Antique oil painting from France: An antique original oil painting portrait on stretched canvas from the 1800's. This original painting is a small-scale portrait of a man. Condition is satisfactory. The painting has some tiny cracks and missing paint flecks, and has been retouched discreetly in the sitter's hair. The painting has been professionally framed.
- Overall size: 10.6" x 8.6" / 27cm x 22cm.
- Size without the frame: 8.6" x 6.6" / 22cm x 17cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, Girard J.
- Date: 1853.
- Condition: Painting is in satisfactory condition, sitter has been retouched discreetly.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).