19th century French School oil on canvas signed in the lower right (illegible). The canvas is smooth to the touch.
A coastal view with a beautiful light that emanates partly from the clear palette of the wide sky and the sea. The brushstrokes are alternated in volumes at the level of the cliff and the contrast with the vast horizon gives depth and serenity to the work. The scene is animated by the characters harvesting seaweed, an activity practiced since the Middle Ages by peasants on the northern coasts of Finistère (Brittany), during the summer.
- Overall size: 14.9" x 17.7" / 38cm x 45.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 10.6" x 13.7" / 27cm x 35cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, (illegible).
- Date: Mid-19th century.
- Condition: The canvas is in very good condition. The old frame has gaps due to age that make it so charming.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (with a surcharge for Australia and New Zealand).