Original French painting for sale: French School of the 19th-century oil on canvas attributed to Alexandre Gabriel Decamps (1803-1860). On the back is a label dating from 1945 from a former Parisian gallery (Charpentier gallery) in the 8th arrondissement, a place now occupied by Sotheby's France. A second label bears the name of the work entitled the return of the Herd ( La rentrée du troupeau ). The canvas is smooth with no extra texture.
This large and impressive work has a rare natural light thanks to the mastery of the contrast between the azure sky and the dark hues of the landscape. This contrast brings out the house and its details wonderfully. The work finds its balance between detailed work and a feeling of vastness.
- Overall size: 17.3" x 24" / 44.5cm x 61cm.
- Size without the frame: 10.2" x 16.9" / 26cm x 43cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Attributed to Alexandre Gabriel Decamps (1803-1860).
- Date: Early-Mid 1800's.
- Condition: The canvas has a few small gaps mainly on the edges and 3 linear gaps of 0.7" (to the left of the sky and on the trees of the house). The old frame has some impacts but no lack of moldings on the visible parts.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).