Antique oil painting on wood from France, dating from the end of the 18th century. This magnificent wood painting represents a group of traditional Normandy thatched cottages made from a mixture of clay based soil, stone, wood and grains. The archetypal habitat of the rural world is finely represented by the painter. The clear, open and cloudy sky illuminates the scene with intensity, breaking the dark earthly nuances. The brush stroke accentuates this effect in a controlled and uniform way. A technical work full of life, which captivates at first sight.
- Overall size: 19.6" x 24.4" / 50cm x 62.5cm.
- Size without the Frame: 13.3" x 18.1" / 34.5cm x 46.5cm.
- Provenance: France, Normandy.
- Signed: No.
- Date: mid-1800's.
- Condition: The colors are shimmering and the wood does not seem to have suffered from time. The frame is more modern than the work and has several groupings of small holes (pinpoint size) throughout the moldings. There are small losses on the upper part of the frame and at the bottom, in the exterior moldings.
- Materials: Oil on wood panel.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).