20th-century French School oil painting on canvas mounted on carton. The work has a little texture to the touch.
A minimalist still life representing two lemons placed on a book. The light is concentrated on the citrus fruits and the leaves, revealing a hyper-realistic work of the nuanced colors of the lemon skin which intermingle in a natural way with the shadows.
The lemon as a subject is very present in Dutch Baroque paintings where they symbolize oriental opulence or human finitude when they are peeled. They are rarely represented with their stems and leaves. This painting is a rare and fine example of a French School still life, with a gorgeous frame from the period to match.
- Overall Size: 16.9" x 17.7" / 43cm x 45cm.
Size without the frame: 11" x 11.8" / 28cm x 30cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Anonymous.
- Date: Early 20th century.
- Condition: The set is in very good condition despite some small gaps and impacts.
- Materials: Oil on canvas mounted on carton with a wood frame.
- Shipping: Free global shipping to the US and Europe. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.