20th-century French School oil on canvas signed in the lower left by Alphonse Rey (1865-1938). The canvas is smooth to the touch.
The brushstroke in this landscape is detailed with fine, neat lines. Its depth is based on overlapping horizontal lines which gives a calming effect to the view. With light, and vertical spaces juxtaposed in grasses and plants, together the two planes give a strong sense of realism to the Marais.
About the artist: Alphonse Rey was an Orientalist French painter and watercolorist, born in 1865 and died in 1938. During his Beaux-Arts years, he had the honor of being trained by Félix Ziem (1821-1911) one of the predecessors of Impressionism and friend of Auguste Rodin.
Throughout his life, Rey remained an adventurous artist who traveled all over France and Mahgreb to create detailed landscapes full of light.
- Overall size: 14.1" x 18.1" / 36cm x 46cm.
- Size without the frame: 8.6" x 12.9" / 22cm x 33.5cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Alphonse Rey (1865-1938).
- Date: 19th -20th century.
- Condition: The canvas and the sculpted frame are in excellent condition.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).