20th-century French School oil on canvas signed G-Raby (20th-century) in the lower right and located as 11 rue de Taillebourg in the 11th arrondissement of Paris on the back of the painting. This address is probably that of the artist's studio, which no longer exists today. The work has texture to the touch.
A post-Impressionist still life of minimalist composition depicting three neatly arranged herrings in a dish. The brushstrokes are precise despite varying volumes. The fins and rims of the dish are the central focuses of texture. The purpose of light in this artwork is to enhance and elevate the texture and color variations of the fish skins. The careful study of their anatomy is brought to life through the appropriate lighting, creating a refined composition with captivating realism.
- Overall Size: 21.6" x 24.4" / 55cm x 62.5cm.
Size without the frame: 14.9" x 18.1" /38cm x 46cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: G-Raby (20th-century).
- Date: Early 1900s.
- Condition: The canvas is in good condition despite small holes on some edges due to past framing. The green wooden frame has significant gaps and various cracks, as well as a lovely patina effect.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas with a wood frame.
- Shipping: Free global DHL shipping is included with this painting. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.