Old French painting: Oil on wood signed Victor Pierre Ménard (1857-1938) and titled "Matinée sur l'Aven (Morning in Aven)."
The panel is smooth with small nuances of thickness on the clouds and the reflections over the river.
This impressionist work reflects the sensitivity and mood of Ménard in this moment. The brushstrokes are nervous and uneven, while the lines are harmonious and balanced.
About the artist: Victor Pierre Ménard (1857-1938) was born in Nantes in 1857. He trained at the Beaux-Arts in Paris with renowned professors such as Luc-Olivier Merson (1846-1920), Jules Joseph Lefebvre (1834-1912) and Henri-Lucien Doucet (1856-1895). He lived in Paris in the second district where he met and married Charlotte Morel, one of the first women to be admitted to mixed classes of the Beaux-Arts.
Victor Pierre Ménard regularly exhibited his Breton landscapes, portraits and genre scenes at the Salon of French artists from 1894, where he obtained a mention in 1923. He also exhibited at the Salon d'Hiver between 1923 and 1937. He died in Paris in 1938.
- Overall size: 6.2" x 9.8" / 16cm x 25cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, Victor Pierre Ménard (1857-1938).
- Date: Late 1800's.
- Condition: The panel is in excellent condition despite faded colors, the small shaded perimeter of an old frame, and some small stains of age on the painted wood.
- Materials: Oil on wood panel.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe, with a surcharge for Australia.