19th-century French School oval oil painting of a woman mounted on wood panel. The work is smooth to the touch.
A soft and dreamy bust portrait of a woman with wide grey eyes, wearing a gilded pendant in the shape of a cross and gold drop earrings. The woman's bare shoulders focus the light and place the pendant as a central object. The teal dress of the woman meets a delicate lace camisole against the pale pink of the woman's sloped shoulders and a charcoal grey background. The thick golden frame with rosebud detailing enhances the luminosity of the portrait. The frame is unique in that it acts as a box for the portrait, the wooden back is closed instead of revealing the back side of the portrait itself.
- Overall Size: 9" x 7.4" / 23cm x 19.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 13.3" x 11" / 34cm x 28cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Anonymous.
- Date: Mid 19th-century.
- Condition: The canvas mounted on panel has a slight gap with the frame on the uppermost edge. There are small flecks of oil paint missing on the pictorial layer (chin and bust), as well as veins from age. The old frame bears restoration marks as well as traces and impacts.
- Materials: Oil on canvas mounted on wood panel with a wood box frame.
- Shipping: Free global shipping to the US and Europe. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.