Près du Marais
19th-century French School oil painting on wood signed R. Gourdon (born 1855 ) in the lower righthand corner. The work has texture to the touch.
A tidal marsh scene with a figure in the center leaning on a rock. The brushstrokes are full of volume, notably in the sky and with the two central trees. Glints of pink are picked up by the clouds, and the brilliance of the fading sunlight creates a glow across this evening landscape.
About the artist: René Gourdon was a French painter specialized in landscapes and genre scenes born in 1855 in Agen (Southwest France). Gourdon painted landscapes in France and in Africa. He also exhibited in Paris, at the Salon of French Artists from 1880 to 1896.
- Overall Size: 12.2" x 14.5" / 31cm x 37cm.
- Size without the frame: 5.9" x 8.2" / 15.5cm x 21.5cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: René Gourdon (1855-?).
- Date: Late 19th century.
- Condition: The panel is in very good condition as well. The antique frame also despite some small gaps in the exterior corners.
- Materials: Oil on wood panel with wood and stucco frame.
- Shipping: Free global shipping to the US and Europe. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.