19th-century French School oil on canvas signed Vallet in the lower left. The surface of the painting has a light texture to the touch.
This still life is a "trompe l'oeil" based on the artist's choice to give a perspective that shows the bouquet of roses at the edge of a pool of water. The "comma style" brush strokes are full of volume and technically flawless. The geometry of the petals is precise and based on research into the effects of natural light. The composition draws part of its vivid luminosity from the shades of light in the background and the fine shades of pink on the bouquet. The old frame is in harmony with the golden textures and nuances of the composition.
- Overall Size: 21.2" x 24.8" / 54cm x 63cm.
- Size without the frame: 18.1" x 22" / 46cm x 56cm.
- Country: France.
- Signed: Vallet (XIXth century).
- Date: Mid-1800s.
- Condition: The canvas has lost none of its shine over the years but has a few small paint chips in the upper half of the canvas. The frame has traces and small impacts.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas in an antique frame.
- Shipping: Free global shipping to the US and Europe. A surcharge is added for Australia and New Zealand, and Asia.