20th-century French School oil on carton signed Gilbert Galland (1870-1956). The material has a bit of texture on the city.
View of Saint Tropez from the sea in a rare longitudinal format. Galland was an Orientalist painter who split his touches like the Impressionists. A maritime master, the artist was skilled in capturing reflections in the water and the chopped movement of the waves. These reflections give an important element to the work and are combined with a feeling of calm due to the horizontal lines. The colors are predominantly azure blue with a compact balance of orange hues in the heart of the city.
About the artist: Gibert Galland, a French Orientalist painter, was born in 1870 and died in 1956. After studying at the Beaux-Arts School, Galland specialized in maritime painting. His life was spent between Paris and Algiers and his work was exhibited in both countries. He was sought after by a number of Shipping Companies to decorate their interiors with sketches of ships, always in bright light.
- Overall size: 11.8" x 28.5" / 30cm x 72.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 8.6" x 26.3"/ 22.5cm x 67cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Gilbert Galland (1870-1956).
- Date: 20th century.
- Condition: The work is in very good condition despite some small stains from time. The frame has impacts without major gaps.
- Materials: Oil on carton.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).