The Rose Garden
19th-century French School oil on canvas signed by C.Renard (19th century). The canvas has a little texture to the touch.
A still life with a otherworldly light illuminating potted flowers, which glow with a complexity and volume, demonstrating two scenes in one: The flowers picked in the basket, and those arranged in the background in a bouquet. Rake and shovel are partly in the dark, revealing a theatrical garden drama. Logical staging or metaphor for the human attempt to organize the beauty of nature?
- Overall size: 15.3" x 12.4" / 39cm x 31.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 12.5" x 9.4" /32.5cm x 24.5cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: C.Renard (19th century).
- Date: Early 19th-century.
- Condition: The canvas is in good condition despite some veins and a restoration patch on the back, visible on the central edge of the flower pot. The frame has several traces and impacts from age.
- Materials: Oil on canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (with a surcharge for Australia/New Zealand)