Les Plumes Noires
Original Antique European Oil Painting: Belgian school from the beginning of the 20th-century oil on canvas by Alexandre Louis Martin (1887-1954). Portrait of a woman with a feather headband.
Alexandre Louis Martin was an engaged Wallon portrait artist. He strove to represent the working class with sincerity, gentleness and a captivating technical mastery. A museum near Brussels bears his name.
A canvas surface with marked thicknesses. Reflections and shadows are carried by realistic lines and nuances of carefully rendered skin colors. The light on the character is powerful and the contrasts also reflect the undeniable mastery of Alexandre Louis Martin in bringing out the fragility of the model and the beauty of the human soul.
- Overall size: 23.2" x 19.2" / 59cm x 49cm.
- Size without the Frame: 19.6" x 15.3" / 50cm x 39cm.
- Provenance: Belgium.
- Signed: Unsigned but attributed to Alexandre Louis Martin (1887-1954).
- Date: Early-Mid 1900's.
- Condition: The canvas has some visible veins and small restoration marks. The frame is in good condition with some lacks, the main one being on the lower right horizontal edge (1.9 "). Around the model's left eyebrow there is a small restoration where the canvas has been closed and re-enforced with a light touch.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe, with a surcharge for Australia and New Zealand.