Mlle P. Magnan
Original Antique French Oil Painting: French school portrait of Mademoiselle P Magnan, signed Jacques Weismann (1978-1962) located in Paris and dated 1947 on the back of the canvas.
The canvas is smooth and regular with a very slight thickness on the beads of the necklace. Painted in powerful color, the portrait is carried by a frosty blue background which serves as the basis for the play of chiaroscuro. The light is strong and almost looks like a stage like on the model. The sitter is graceful, and her eyes tell a story we can only imagine. This was painted the same year that the Paris Peace Treaties were signed, and the city was coming back to life with an explosion of theater, fashion and arts.
About the artist: Jacques Weismann (1978-1962) was a French painter, pastellist, illustrator and sculptor born September 18, 1878, in Paris. He specialized in portraits and participated in numerous salons, Salon des Indépendants, Salon d'Automne, Salon d'Hiver, Maison des Artistes de Paris and Galerie Simonson. He won the medal in 1932 at the Salon des Artistes Français. He carried out the portraits of several personalities of the French politics and spectacle of the time, Miss Jeanne Aubert, Marshal Foch, Tino Rossi.
- Overall size: 33" x 29.1" / 84cm x 74cm.
- Size without the Frame: 25.1" x 21.2" / 64cm x 54cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, Jacques Weismann (1978-1962).
- Date: 1947.
- Condition: The canvas is in excellent condition. The frame is also in very good condition with some rare impacts.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe, with a surcharge for Australia and New Zealand.