Woman in Black
French antique oil painting: Oil portrait on canvas, unsigned. Traditional academic painting, estimated between 1840-1870, in line with what is called "The Beaux-Arts school", a powerful institution at the time with very specific principles. This portrait represents perfectly the rules of that period. The works had to have a finished and smooth appearance, with no visible touches or brushstrokes. The darks are in the spotlight.
- Overall size: 26.7" x 22.4" / 68cm x 57.5cm.
- Size without the frame: 24" x 19.6" / 61.5cm x 50.5 cm.
- Provenance: France.
- Signed: Yes, Bertaux.
- Date: Mid 1800's.
- Condition: Apparent veins on the canvas. A visible patch at the back of the canvas, at the top center, made after restoration work. Small losses on the edges, especially the left edge of the frame, the wood of which is starting to appear on the canvas.
- Materials: Oil on stretched canvas.
- Shipping: Free Worldwide DHL Express to USA & Europe (otherwise free shipping via Colissimo).